Follow Steps 1-9 for all models.
- Disconnect the battery cables at the battery, negative cable first.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Drain the engine oil. Label and disconnect the distributor starter and alternator wires, the engine-to-ground strap, the oil pressure and engine temperature wires, and all other engine electrical connections.
- Disconnect and label all vacuum hose connections.
- Disconnect the throttle and transaxle linkage (automatic) at the carburetor.
- Disconnect the radiator and heater hoses.
- Remove the power steering pump and air conditioning compressor from their mounting brackets and set them aside, without disconnecting any hoses.
- Remove the front engine strut assembly.
On 1982 and later 4 cyl. engines with electric fuel pumps, relieve the pressure in the fuel system as described under Electric Fuel Pump in Section Four.
- For all four cylinder models, and six cylinder with automatic transaxle, perform the following:
- Remove the engine front mount-to-engine cradle nuts.
- Remove the forward exhaust pipe or crossover pipe.
- Disconnect and plug the fuel lines. Disconnect the battery cables from the starter and transaxle housing.
- Remove the flywheel cover. Remove the starter on four cylinder models. Remove the torque converter-to-flywheel bolts on all automatic models.
- On the four cylinder, remove the transaxle-to-engine bolts, leaving the upper two in place. Remove the two rear transaxle support bracket bolts. Place a block of wood under the transaxle and raise the engine and transaxle unit with a jack until the engine front mount studs clear the engine cradle. Support the engine with a lifting chain. Remove the two transaxle-to-engine bolts. Slide the engine forward and lift from the car.
- On the six cylinder, remove the transaxle case-to-engine support bracket bolts. Place a support under the transaxle rear extension. Remove the transaxle-to-engine retaining bolts. Install a lifting chain on the engine and remove the engine from the car.
- For all six cylinder with manual transaxle, perform the following:
- Disconnect the clutch cable, shift linkage cables, and speedometer cable from the transaxle.
- Attach a lifting chain to the engine and raise it until the engine weight is off the mounts.
- Remove all the transaxle-to-engine bolts except one.
- Unlock the steering column. Raise the car. Remove the stabilizer-to-lower control arm bolts. Remove the stabilizer bar plate on the left side, and loosen the plate bolts on the right side. Remove the left side crossmember assembly-to-side member bolts.
- Remove the exhaust crossover pipe.
- Remove all front, side and rear engine/transaxle-to-cradle nuts.
- Remove the left wheel.
- Remove the front crossmember-to-right side member bolts.
- Pull the axle shafts from the transaxle using G.M. special tool J-28468 or equivalent.
- Remove the engine cradle-to-body mount bolts on the left side.
- Swing the side member and crossmember assembly to the left. Secure it outside the fender well.
- Lower the left side of the engine/transaxle assembly. Place a block of wood under the transaxle and support the transaxle with a jack. Remove the last transaxle-to-engine bolt and separate and lower the transaxle out of the car. Lift the engine from the car.
All Four Cylinder Models
- Lower the engine into the cradle, aligning the transaxle and engine bellhousing.
- With the engine still supported, install two upper transaxle-to-engine bolts. Do not lower the engine completely while the transaxle is still supported by the jack.
- Remove the transaxle jack.
- Lower the engine. Install the rest of the transaxle-to-engine bolts. Install the front mount-to-chassis nuts. The remainder of installation is the reverse of removal.
WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE
Lower the engine into the cradle. Check that the engine front mount studs are properly located. Line up the transaxle, install, and tighten the transaxle-to-engine bolts to 55 ft. lbs. The rest of installation is the reverse of removal.WITH MANUAL TRANSAXLE
- Lower the engine into place. Check that the engine front mount studs are properly located.
- Support the engine with the lifting chain. Allow the left side to drop slightly.
- Install the forward strut bracket to the radiator support.
- Raise the car. Raise the transaxle into the car, align with the engine, and install at least one transaxle-to-engine bolt. Start the right side axle shaft into the transaxle as the transaxle is installed.
- Raise the left side of the engine/transaxle unit with the lifting chain.