1982 and later 4-cylinder engines with the Throttle Body Injection (TBI) system use an electric fuel pump located in the fuel tank. The pump is activated by signals from the Electronic Control Module (ECM) through a fuel pump relay.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Before opening any part of the fuel system, the pressure must be relieved. Use the following procedure to relieve the pressure:
- Remove the fuel pump fuse from the fuse panel.
- Start the engine and let it run until all fuel in the line is used.
- Crank the starter an additional three seconds to relieve any residual pressure.
- With the ignition OFF, replace the fuse.
- Drain the fuel tank.
- Disconnect wiring from the tank.
- Remove the ground wire retaining screw from under the body.
- Disconnect all hoses from the tank.
- Support the tank on a jack and remove the retaining strap nuts.
- Lower the tank and remove it.
- Remove the fuel gauge/pump retaining ring using a spanner wrench such as tool J24187.
- Remove the gauge unit and the pump.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Always replace the O-ring under the gauge/pump retaining ring.