Powerglide and Torque Drive
The low band must be adjusted at the first required fluid change or whenever there is slippage.
- Position the shift lever in NEUTRAL.
- Remove the protective cap from the adjusting screw on the left side of the transmission.
- Loosen the locknut 1 / 4 turn and hold it with a wrench during the entire adjusting procedure.
- Tighten the adjusting nut to 70 inch lbs. (8 Nm), using a 7 / 32 in. Allen wrench drive.
- Back off the adjusting nut exactly three turns for a band used less than 6,000 miles. Back off exactly four turns for a band used 6,000 miles or more.
- Torque the locknut to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm) and replace the cap.
The intermediate band must be adjusted with every required fluid change or whenever there is slippage.
- Position the shift lever in NEUTRAL.
- Loosen the locknut on the right side of the transmission and tighten the adjusting screw to 30 inch lbs. (3.4 Nm)
- Back the screw out three turns and then tighten the locknut to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
There are no band adjustments possible or required for the Turbo Hydra-Matic 200, 200-4R, 350 or 700-4R transmission.
TRANSMISSION SHIFT LINKAGE
POWERGLIDE COLUMN SHIFT
- The shift tube and lever assembly must be free in the mast jacket.
- Lift the selector lever toward the steering wheel and allow the selector lever to be positioned in DRIVE by the transmission detent.
- Release the selector lever. The lever should be prevented from engaging LOW, unless the lever is lifted.
- Lift the selector lever toward the steering wheel and allow the lever to be positioned in NEUTRAL by the transmission detent.
- Release the selector lever. The selector lever should not be kept from engaging REVERSE unless the lever is lifted. If the linkage is adjusted correctly, the selector lever should be prevented from moving beyond both the NEUTRAL detent and the DRIVE detent unless the lever is lifted to pass over the mechanical stop in the steering column.
If adjustment is necessary, perform the following steps:
- Adjust the linkage by loosening the adjustment clamp at the cross-shaft. Place the transmission lever in DRIVE by rotating the lever counterclockwise to the LOW detent, and then clockwise one detent to DRIVE.
- Place the selector lever in DRIVE and remove any freeplay by holding the cross-shaft up and pulling the shift rod downward.
- Tighten the clamp and check the adjustment.
- Loosen the swivel at the lower end of the rod that comes from the column.
- Set the transmission lever in the NEUTRAL detent by turning the lever counterclockwise to the L1 detent, then clockwise three positions.
- Put the column lever in NEUTRAL. The important thing here is not where the indicator points but that the lever be in the correct position.
- Tighten the swivel. Readjust the neutral start switch as necessary.
- Check that the key cannot be removed and that the wheel is not locked with the key in RUN . Check that the key can be removed in LOCK with the lever in PARK, and that the steering wheel is locked.
- Remove the screw and washer from the swivel assembly on the rod which activates the transmission shift lever.
- Put the transmission shift lever in NEUTRAL by turning it counterclockwise to L1 detent and then clockwise three detent positions. Put the transmission selector lever in NEUTRAL as determined by the mechanical stop in the steering column assembly do not use the indicator pointer.
- Turn the swivel until it lines up directly with the hole in the shift lever, then install screw and washer. You should not have to force the transmission lever to move in either direction to install the screw.
- Adjust the transmission indicator pointer and neutral start switch.
- Check that the key cannot be removed in the RUN position if the transmission selector is in REVERSE and that the key can be removed with the selector in PARK. Make sure the lever will not move from PARK position with key out of ignition.
- Loosen the swivel at the lower end of the rod that comes from the steering column.
- Loosen the pin at the transmission end of the cable.
- Set the floorshift lever in the DRIVE detent.
- Set the transmission lever in the DRIVE detent by moving it counterclockwise to the L1 detent, then clockwise three detent positions.
- Tighten the nut on the pin at the transmission end of the cable.
- Push the floorshift lever in PARK and the ignition switch in LOCK .
- Pull down lightly on the rod from the column and tighten its clamp nut.
- Loosen the clamping screw at the shifting rod-to-equalizer lever.
- Position the steering column shifting lever into the NEUTRAL position.
- Set the transmission lever into the NEUTRAL position.
- Finger tighten the equalizer lever clamping screw to the sifting rod.
While performing this operation, DO NOT exert force in any direction.
- Tighten the equalizer clamping screw.
THROTTLE VALVE DETENT CABLE
On these models the T.V. cable controls line pressure, shift points, shift feel, part throttle downshifts and detent downshifts. The T.V. cable operates the throttle valve lever and bracket assembly in the control valve.
- Stop the engine.
- Locate the TV cable adjuster near the carburetor.
- Depress and hold down the metal tab of the TV cable adjuster.
- Move the slider until it stops against the fitting.
- Release the adjuster tab.
- Turn the carburetor lever to the Full Throttle Stop position and release it.
By turning the carburetor lever to the Full Throttle Stop, the TV cable will automatically adjust itself.