REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle safely using jackstands.
- Matchmark and remove the driveshaft. Most vehicles covered in this guide should be equipped with a slip yoke and the front of the driveshaft. In order to remove the shaft, disconnect it from the rear axle, then carefully withdraw the splined yoke from the rear of the transmission.
- If used, remove the tunnel strap.
- Carefully distort the seal using a punch, then pry the seal from the rear of the transmission housing. Be careful not to damage the sealing surface of the housing.
- Clean and dry the sealing surface in the rear of the transmission housing.
- Coat the outside of the new seal with a non-hardening sealing compound.
- Carefully drive the new seal into position using a proper seal installation tool. Be careful not to damage the housing or the transmission output shaft upon installation.
- If used, install the tunnel strap.
- Install the driveshaft assembly.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Check and, if necessary, add fresh transmission fluid. Please refer to of this guide for details concerning proper methods and type of automatic transmission fluid.