Safety glasses should be worn at all times when working on or near the exhaust system. Older exhaust systems will almost always be covered with loose rust particles which will shower you when disturbed. These particles are more than a nuisance and could injure your eye.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely using jackstands.
- Spray all fasteners which are to be disconnected using a penetrating oil.
- Remove the exhaust pipe-to-manifold nuts.
- Support the catalytic converter or muffler and disconnect the front pipe. Remove the pipe.
- Add sealer to the connecting surfaces, except where a gasket is used.
- Loosely install the front pipe to the exhaust manifold, using a new gasket.
- Connect the rear of the front pipe to the converter or muffler, as applicable.
- Check the clearance, then tighten the fasteners.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Run the engine and check for leaks, but be careful NOT to touch the hot exhaust pipes. Be especially careful near the catalytic converter, if equipped.