The intermediate pipe is the section between the catalytic converter and the muffler.
Safety glasses should be worn at all times when working on or near the exhaust system. Older exhaust systems will almost always be covered with loose rust particles which will shower you when disturbed. These particles are more than a nuisance and could injure your eye.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely using jackstands.
- Spray all fasteners which are to be disconnected using a penetrating oil.
- Disconnect the intermediate pipe from the catalytic converter.
- At the muffler, remove the clamp and the intermediate pipe.
- During installation, use a new clamp and nuts/bolts.
- Connect the intermediate pipe to the muffler, then to the converter.
- Check the clearance, then tighten the fasteners.
- Remove the jackstands and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Run the engine and check for leaks, but be careful NOT to touch the hot exhaust pipes. Be especially careful near the catalytic converter.