REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Using a scratch awl or permanent marker, scribe the hinge-to-hood alignment in order to assure proper reinstallation.
- If equipped with a hood light, disconnect the negative battery cable, then disengage the hood light connector.
- Using an assistant (to help support the hood), remove the hinge-to-hood bolts. Make sure the hood does not slide down and contact the cowl or windshield as the last bolts are removed.
- Carefully lift the hood and remove it from the vehicle.
- With the aid of the assistant, carefully lift the hood and position it over the hinges, then hold it as you loosely install the retaining bolts in order to keep the hood from sliding into the cowl.
- Align the hood and hinges using the matchmarks made earlier, then tighten the retaining bolts.
- Check the hood alignment with the hood latch.
- If equipped, engage the hood light connector, then connect the negative battery cable.
When aligning the hood and the latch, align the hinge first, then adjust the latch and striker.Hinge
The hinge-to-hood mount is slotted to provide forward and rearward adjustment, while the hood hinge-to-body mount is slotted to provide upward and downward movement at the rear of the hood. Additional rearward height adjustment is usually achieved through the use of stop screws. Adjust the hood so that it is flush with the body sheet metal. Once this is accomplished, the latch and striker may be adjusted to provide proper engagement and securing of the hood when closed.
- Using a scratch awl or permanent marker, scribe the hinge outline onto the hood or body as a reference point.
- Loosen the appropriate screws and shift the hood or hinge into proper alignment with the vehicle's sheet metal.
- After adjustment, tighten the retainers to secure the hood and hinge adjustment.
- Check and adjust the latch and striker, as necessary.
The hood latch assembly is mounted on a plate with elongated holes, which allow for adjustments. The striker (on the hood) adjusts laterally to align with the hood latch assembly. Forward height adjustment is achieved through the stop screws. Stop screws may be mounted at the rear of the hood as well.