REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the coil spring from the vehicle. For details, please refer to the coil spring procedure found earlier in this section.
- Separate the lower ball joint from the steering knuckle using a suitable separator tool. For details refer to the lower ball joint procedures earlier in this section.
- Note the directions which the control arm pivot bolts are facing for installation purposes. Remove the control arm pivot bolts and the control arm.
- Position the control arm to the vehicle and install the pivot bolts in the directions noted during removal. Do not fully tighten the fasteners at this time, the pivot bolts/nuts must be tightened with the vehicle's weight resting on the suspension.
- Install the lower ball joint to the steering knuckle and secure using the retaining nut. Tighten the nut and insert and new cotter pin. DO NOT back off the torque in order to install the cotter pin.
- Install the coil spring to the vehicle.
If there is insufficient clearance in order to access and tighten the lower control arm pivot bolts, raise and support the car on ramps. If ramps are not available, use jackstands under the control arms so the suspension is compressed.
- With the vehicle's weight supported by the suspension, tighten the control arm pivot fasteners. Tighten the bolts to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm).
CONTROL ARM BUSHING REPLACEMENT
- Remove the control arm from the vehicle.
Late model vehicles utilize a control arm on which the front bushing is flared during installation. Any flared bushing must be driven down with a blunt chisel prior to removal.
- If necessary, use a blunt chisel to drive down the bushing flare until it is even with the rubber.
- Using a suitable bushing removal tool, drive the bushing from the control arm.
- Using a bushing installation driver, press the new bushing into the control arm. If the bushing removed from the arm was flared, you must use a special installation tool which is designed to flare the replacement bushing. For these installations, continue turning the nut on the special installation tool until the new bushing is flared.
- Install the control arm to the vehicle.