Windshield wiper switches on these vehicles may be mounted in either of 2 places. Some earlier vehicles covered by this guide may be equipped with a dash mounted switch. Most of the vehicles covered by this guide will be equipped with a steering column mounted switch which is part of the multi-function lever.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Dash Mounted Switch
- Remove the instrument cluster lens and trim. For necessary details, refer to the instrument cluster procedures earlier in this section.
- Reaching behind the instrument panel, disengage the electrical connector from the rear of the windshield wiper switch.
- Using a prying action, carefully remove the spring clip which retains the switch to the instrument panel.
- Remove the windshield wiper switch.
- Reverse the removal procedure to install.
Most 1982 and later models utilize a multi-function lever on the steering column. The switch which is actuated by the lever is mounted deep in the steering column assembly.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering wheel from the column.
- Remove the turn signal assembly from the steering column. Refer to of this guide for details. It may be possible to leave the signal wiring in position and allow the switch to hang from the wires. If not, attach a piece of mechanic's wire or twine to the connector before pulling the wiring through the column. Leave the string or wire in the column so the connector may be pulled back into position during installation.
- It may be necessary to loosen the 2 column mounting nuts and remove the four bracket-to-mast jacket screws, then separate the bracket from the mast jacket in order to allow the connector clip on the ignition switch to be pulled out of the column assembly.
- Disengage the washer/wiper switch lower connector.
The tilt and travel column has a removable plastic cover on the column housing. This provides access to the wiper switch without removing the entire column housing.
- Remove the screws attaching the column housing to the mast jacket. Be sure to note the position of the dimmer switch actuator rod for reassembly in the same position. Remove the column housing and switch as an assembly.
- Turn the pivot assembly upside down and use a drift to remove the pivot pin from the washer/wiper switch, then remove the switch assembly.
- Place the switch into position in the housing, then install the pivot pin.
- Position the housing onto the mast jacket and attach by installing the retaining screws. Install the dimmer switch actuator rod in the same position as noted earlier. Check switch operation.
- Connect the lower end of the switch assembly.
- If removed, install the bracket-to-mast jacket screws and the 2 column mounting nuts.
- Install the turn signal assembly. For details, refer to of this guide.
- Install the steering wheel to the column assembly.
- Connect the negative battery cable.