The door locks uses a fork bolt lock design which includes a safety interlock feature. The door is securely closed when the door lock fork bolt engages the striker bolt.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
NEVER attempt to make repairs to the lock assembly; replace it.
- Remove the door trim, then detach the insulator pad (if equipped) and the inner panel water deflector sufficiently to access the door lock.
- If working on the front doors, remove the inner panel cam.
- If working on the rear doors, remove the stationary window and the ventilator assembly.
- Disengage the inside handle and the power lock connecting rods (if equipped).
- If necessary, remove the power lock actuator:
- Disengage the electrical connector or vacuum line from the actuator assembly, as applicable.
- Using a center punch, drive the center pins out of pop rivets.
- Drill the heads off of the pop rivets using a 1 / 4 in. drill bit.
- Disengage the connecting rod and the actuator through the access hole.
On some models, it may be necessary to remove the inside handle, the lock and the connecting rod as a unit.
- Remove the lock-to-door screws and the lock through the access hole.
- Attach the spring clips to the lock assembly, then install the lock through the access hole and secure using the retaining screws. Tighten the door lock-to-door screws to 80-100 inch lbs. (9-11 Nm).
If working on the front door of the sedan models, engage the lock cylinder-to-lock and the outside handle-to-lock connecting rods.
- If equipped with a remote lock button, engage the locking rod from the door lock(s).
When attaching the power door lock actuator to the door, use 1 / 4 in. × 1 / 2 in. pop rivets or nuts/bolts.
- If equipped with power locks on the front door, install the electric lock actuator using pop rivets or retainers.
- Engage the inside handle and the power lock connecting rods, if equipped.
- If working on the rear doors, install the stationary window and the ventilator assembly.
- If working on the front doors, install the inner panel cam.
- Reposition the inner panel water deflector. Then install the insulator pad and the door trim.