REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely using jackstands.
- Disconnect the steering shaft coupling.
- Mark the pitman arm-to-shaft relationship, then remove the pitman arm using a puller.
- Remove the steering gear-to-frame mounting bolts, then remove the steering gear.
- Position the steering gear to the frame, then install and tighten the frame mounting bolts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Install the pitman arm while aligning the matchmarks made earlier. Tighten the pitman shaft nut to 184 ft. lbs. (250 Nm).
- Connect the steering shaft coupling, then tighten the coupling nuts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Remove the supports and carefully lower the vehicle.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- At the steering wheel, remove the horn ring or button.
Be sure to mark the relationship of the pitman arm to the steering gear before it is removed.
- Remove the pitman arm-to-steering gear nut, then using the puller tool No. J-6632 or equivalent, pull the pitman arm from the steering gear.
- Turn the steering wheel 1 / 2 turn from either stop, then loosen the sector shaft adjusting screw to eliminate the sector load.
- Place an inch lbs. torque wrench on the steering wheel nut, then turn the wrench 90 degrees and observe the reading (measure preload). If the force is less than 5-8 inch lbs. loosen the steering gear adjuster locknut and turn the worm thrust bearing adjuster to increase the preload.
- Tighten the adjuster locknut and recheck the preload.
- Reassemble the pitman arm to the pitman shaft, lining up the marks made during disassembly. Torque the retaining nuts to 184 ft. lbs. (250 Nm).
- Install the horn cap or ring and connect the battery cable.