REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
If necessary for access or service remove the steering wheel using a steering wheel puller.
- Remove the nut/bolt from the upper intermediate shaft coupling, then separate the coupling from the lower end of the steering column.
- If equipped with a column mounted shifter, disconnect the transmission control linkage from the column shift tube levers.
- If equipped with a floor shifter, disconnect the backdrive linkage.
- Disengage all of the electrical connectors from the steering column assembly.
- Remove the floor pan cover-to-floor screws, the floor seal, and the cover.
- Remove the steering column bracket-to-instrument panel nuts and carefully lower the column. If equipped, disconnect the shift position indictor pointer.
Once the steering column has been removed from the vehicle, be careful not to drop it (especially on it's end), lean on it or damage it in any way; the column is very susceptible to damage.
- Remove the column from the vehicle.
- Position the steering column in the vehicle. If equipped, connect the shift position indicator pointer.
- Raise the steering column into position and tighten the column retaining nut and bolts. For vehicles through 1985, tighten the retaining nuts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm) and the retaining bolt(s) to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm). For 1986-88 vehicles, tighten the retaining nuts and bolt(s) to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm). For 1989 vehicles, tighten the support bracket-to-column jacket screws to 22 ft. lbs. (30 Nm) and the column-to-column upper support screws to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
- Install the floor pan seal and cover, then secure using the retaining screws.
- Engage all of the electrical connectors to the steering column assembly.
- If equipped with a floor shifter, connect the backdrive linkage.
- If equipped with a column mounted shifter, connect the transmission control linkage to the column shift tube levers.
- Connect the intermediate shaft coupling to the lower end of the steering column, then secure using the nut/bolt.
- If removed for access or service, align the matchmarks and install the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.