REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the trim retaining screws from behind the wheel, disconnect the horn lead and remove the pad from the steering wheel.
A few of the earliest model vehicles covered by this guide may be equipped with a horn cap which is not held on by retainers through the back of the wheel. If so equipped, grasp and gently pull the cap from the center of the wheel. After removing the shaft nut on these wheels, it will be necessary to remove the screws, horn upper insulator, receiver and belleville spring before installing the wheel puller tool.
- Lift the trim off, then disconnect the horn wire(s).
- Remove the snapring, then remove the steering wheel retaining nut.
- Matchmark the wheel-to-shaft relationship, then remove the wheel with a steering wheel puller such as tool No. J-2927. To install:
- Install the wheel on the shaft, aligning the marks made during removal.
On wheels equipped with a horn cap instead of a pad, remember to install the belleville spring, receiver, horn upper insulator and retaining screws before installing the shaft nut.
- Install the steering wheel retaining nut, then tighten the nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm).
- Install the snapring.
- Hold the trim just above position, then connect the horn wire(s).
- Install the center trim and secure using the retaining screws.
- Connect the negative battery cable.