REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
When servicing any components on the steering column, should any fasteners require replacement, be sure to use only nuts and bolts of the same size and grade as the original fasteners. Using screws that are slightly too long could prevent the column from the collapsing during a collision.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Matchmark and remove the steering wheel. For details, please refer to the procedure earlier in this section.
- Remove the trim cover from the column.
- Remove the steering column cover from the shaft by prying it out with a screwdriver. Before prying, check to make sure there are no other retainers used, a few early model vehicles may be equipped with retaining screws.
- Use a compressing tool, such as No. J-23653, to compress and hold the lockplate. With the plate compressed, pry out and discard the snapring from its shaft groove.
- Slide the cancelling cam, spring, and washer off the shaft.
- Remove turn signal lever.
- Push the four-way flasher knob in and unscrew it.
- Remove the three switch mounting screws.
- Pull switch connector out of the bracket and wrap it with tape to prevent it from snagging. Connect a length of twine or mechanic's wire to the connector. When the connector is pulled through the column, leave the twine or wire in the column in order to pull the new switch harness into position during installation.
- If applicable, place tilt columns in the low position and remove the harness cover.
- Remove the switch and harness assembly from the steering column.
- Install the switch and harness assembly to the steering column. Use the length of twine or wire to pull the harness through the column and into position.
- If applicable, place tilt columns in the low position and install the harness cover.
- Install the switch connector to the bracket.
- Install and tighten the three switch mounting screws.
- Push the four-way flasher knob in and secure it.
- Install the turn signal lever.
When installing the cancelling cam, spring, and washer, make sure that the switch is in neutral and that the flasher knob is out.
- Install the cancelling cam, spring, and washer to the shaft.
- Use a compressing tool, such as No. J-23653, to compress and hold the lockplate. With the plate compressed, install a new snapring to the shaft groove, then remove the compressing tool.
- Install the steering column cover to the shaft.
- Install the trim cover to the column.
- Align the marks made earlier and install the steering wheel.
- Connect the negative battery cable.