REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative cable from the terminal, and then the positive cable. On non side terminal batteries special pullers are available to remove the cable clamps, if they seem stuck.
To avoid sparks, always disconnect the ground cable first, and connect it last.
- Remove the battery hold-down clamp.
- Remove the battery, being careful not to spill the acid.
Spilled acid can be neutralized with a baking soda/water solution. If you somehow get acid into your eyes, flush it out with lots of water and get to a doctor.
- Clean the battery posts thoroughly before reinstalling, or when installing a new battery.
- Clean the cable clamps, using a wire brush, both inside and out.
- Install the battery and hold-down clamp or strap. Connect the positive, and the negative cable (see Note above). Do not hammer the cables onto the terminal posts. The complete terminals should be coated lightly (externally) with petroleum jelly or grease to help prevent corrosion. There are also felt washers impregnated with an anti-corrosion substance which are slipped over the battery posts before installing the cables; these are available in most auto parts stores.