The water pump is a die cast, centrifugal-type with sealed bearings. Since it is pressed together, it must be serviced as a unit.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system.
When draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.
- If necessary, remove the fan shroud or the upper radiator support.
- Remove the necessary drive belts.
- Remove the fan and water pump pulley.
- Remove the alternator and the power steering pump (if equipped) brackets, then move the units aside.
- Remove the heater hose and the lower radiator hose from the pump.
- Remove the water pump retaining bolts and the pump. Clea