DRUM BRAKE SHOES
- Raise the vehicle and support it with safety stands.
- Remove the rubber plug from the adjusting slot on the backing plate.
- Insert a brake adjusting spoon into the slot and engage the lowest possible tooth on the starwheel. Move the end of the brake spoon downward to move the starwheel upward and expand the adjusting screw. Repeat this operation until the brakes lock the wheels.
- Insert the proper brake tool or a piece of firm wire (coat hanger wire) into the adjusting slot and push the automatic adjuster lever out and free of the starwheel on the adjusting screw.
- Holding the adjusting lever out of the way, engage the top most tooth possible on the starwheel with a brake adjusting spoon. Move the end of the adjusting spoon upward to move the adjusting screw starwheel downward and contact the adjusting screw. Back off the adjusting screw starwheel until the wheel spins freely with a minimum of drag. Keep track of the number of turns the starwheel is backed off.
- Repeat the operation for the other side. When backing off the brakes on the other side, the adjusting lever must be backed off the same number of turns to prevent side-to-side brake pull.
- Repeat this operation on all service brake assemblies.
- When all brakes (front if so equipped and rear) are adjusted properly, lower the vehicle.
- Road test the vehicle and make several stops, while backing the vehicle in reverse, to equalize all the wheels.
The pedal travel is the distance which the pedal moves toward the floor from the fully released position. Inspection should be made with the brake pedal firmly depressed and when the brake system is cold. The brake pedal travel should be 2 1 / 4 ".
If equipped with power brakes, be sure to pump the brakes 3 times with the engine OFF, before making the travel check.
- Under the dash, remove the pushrod-to-pedal clevis pin and separate the pushrod from the brake pedal.
- Loosen the pushrod adjuster locknut, then adjust the pushrod.
- After the correct travel is established, tighten the pushrod adjuster locknut.