REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the vehicle and support it safely. Mark the driveshaft and the pinion companion flange so that they can be reassembled in the same position.
- Disconnect the driveshaft from the pinion companion flange and support the propeller shaft up in the body tunnel by wiring it to the exhaust pipe.
If the joint bearing caps are not retained by a retainer strap, use a piece of tape to hold the bearing caps on their trunnions.
- Mark the position of the companion flange, pinion shaft and nut, so that the proper pinion bearing preload can be maintained upon reassembly.
- Using Tool J-8614-10 to hold the pinion companion flange, remove the companion flange nut and washer.
- With a suitable container in place to hold any fluid that may drain from the rear axle, remove the pinion companion flange with Tool J-8614-10.
- Remove the seal by driving it out with a blunt chisel.
- Examine the pinion companion flange for any nicks or damage. If so, replace it.
- Examine the pinion seal bore in the carrier and remove any burrs.
- Using Tool J-23911, install a new seal.
- Apply special seal lubricant, No. 1050169 or equivalent to the O.D. of the pinion flange and sealing lip of the new seal.
- Install the pinion companion flange and nut and tighten the nut 1 / 16 in. beyond the alignment marks.