REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the front of the vehicle safely.
- Disconnect the steering shaft coupling.
- Remove the Pitman arm with a puller after marking the arm-to-shaft relationship.
- Remove the steering gear-to-frame mounting bolts and remove the steering gear.
- Reverse the removal steps to install the steering gear. Tighten the frame mounting bolts to 70 ft. lbs. Tighten the Pitman shaft nut to 180 ft. lbs. and the steering coupling nuts to 20 ft. lbs.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- At the steering wheel, remove the horn ring or button.
- Remove the Pitman arm-to-steering gear nut, then using the puller tool No. J-6632, pull the Pitman arm from the steering gear.
Be sure to mark the relationship of the pitman arm to the steering gear before it is removed.
- Turn the steering wheel 1 / 2 turn from either stop, then loosen the sector shaft adjusting screw to eliminate the sector load.
- Place a 50 inch lbs. torque wrench on the steering wheel nut, then turn the wrench 90 degrees and observe the reading. If the force is less than 5-8 inch lbs. loosen the steering gear adjuster locknut and turn the worm thrust bearing adjuster to increase the preload.
- Tighten the adjuster locknut and recheck the preload.
- Reassemble the Pitman arm to the Pitman shaft, lining up the marks made during disassembly. Torque the retaining bolts to 70 ft. lbs.
- Install the horn cap or ring and connect the battery cable.