REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the transmission as previously outlined.
- Disconnect the clutch fork pushrod and spring.
- Remove the bellhousing.
- Slide the clutch fork from the ball stud and remove the fork from the dust boot. The ball stud is threaded into the bellhousing, and may be replaced if worn.
- Install a clutch pilot tool to support the clutch assembly during removal. Mark the flywheel and clutch cover for reinstallation, if the factory "X" marks are not visible.
- Loosen the clutch-to-flywheel attaching bolts evenly, one turn at a time, until spring pressure is released. Remove the bolts and lift out the clutch assembly.
- Clean the transmission, clutch fork, and bell housing. Clean the flywheel surface with other than an oil-based solvent. Wash your hands before installing or handling the clutch assembly parts. Hold the clutch disc by the center hub only.
Before assembly, slide the clutch disc up and down on the transmission input shaft to check for any binding. Remove any rough spots with crocus cloth and then coat the shaft lightly with Lubriplate®.
- Support the clutch disc and pressure plate with the pilot tool. The driven disc is installed with the damper springs on the transmission side. The grease slinger is always on the transmission side.
- Turn the clutch assembly until the previously made mark on the cover lines up with the mark on the flywheel, then install the retaining bolts. Tighten the bolts evenly to avoid distortion. Torque the bolts to 15-20 ft. lbs. (6-cylinder engine), or 30-35 ft. lbs. (V8).
- Remove the clutch pilot tool.
- Lubricate the ball socket and fork fingers at the throwout bearing end with a high melting-point grease. Lubricate the inside recess of the throwout bearing and throwout fork groove with a light coat of graphite grease.
- Install the clutch fork and dust boot into the housing. Install the throwout bearing into the fork.
All three of these parts should be carefully examined for wear or damage. Replacement of these components is cheap insurance for a dependable clutch installation.
- Install the bell housing and transmission as outlined in the Transmission removal and installation procedure, earlier in this section.
- Connect the fork pushrod and spring. Lubricate the spring and pushrod ends.
- Adjust the shift linkage and clutch pedal free-play.