Unless otherwise stated, the following operations cover the four-cylinder, six-cylinder and V8 engines.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise car and place it on jackstands.
- Drain the cooling system, transmission, and crankcase. Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Scribe alignment marks on the underside of the hood and around the hood hinges, then remove the hood from the hinges.
- Disconnect the coolant and heater hoses at the engine attachment.
- Disconnect the battery cables from the battery.
- Remove the radiator and shroud assembly. Remove the fan and pulley.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Disconnect the coil, starter, and Delcotron wires, engine-to-body ground strap, oil pressure and engine temperature sender wires, and the CEC wire.
- Disconnect the gas tank line from the fuel pump.
- Disconnect the accelerator control linkage from the firewall.
- Disconnect the hand choke linkage (four-cylinder) and the power brake vacuum line.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold. On V8 engines, disconnect the crossover pipe.
- Disconnect the clutch shaft bracket at the frame and disconnect the clutch linkage. On automatic transmission models, remove the transmission oil filler tube and plug the opening.
- Attach an engine lifting tool. Attach it to a hoist and secure the engine.
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the set aside the power steering pump and air conditioning compressor. Do not disconnect the hoses.
- Remove the engine rear mounting bolts.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable, transmission control rod linkage lower ends, TCS switch, and transmission oil cooler lines.
- Loosen the front engine mounting bolts.
- Raise the engine slightly and remove the bolts.
- Remove the transmission crossmember and free the transmission rear mounting.
- Remove the engine and transmission as a unit from the car.
- Bolt the engine lifting tool to the engine and lower the engine and transmission into the chassis as a unit. Guide the engine to align the front engine mounts with the mounts on the frame.
- Install one rear transmission crossmember side bolt, swing the crossmember up under the transmission mount, and install the bolt in the opposite side rail.
- Align and install the rear mount bolts.
- Install the engine front mount bolts and remove the lifting tool from the engine.
- Install and connect all items in the reverse order from the engine removal procedure.
SEPARATING THE TRANSMISSION FROM
THE ENGINEManual Transmission
- Remove the clutch housing cover plate screws.
- Remove the bolts holding the clutch housing to the engine block. Remove the clutch housing and transmission assembly.
- Remove the starter and clutch housing cover plate.
- Loosen the clutch-to-flywheel bolts, alternately, until the spring pressure is released. Remove all bolts, the clutch disc, and the pressure plate assembly.
- Reattach the transmission by reversing the above procedure.
- Lower the engine and support it on suitable blocks.
- Remove the starter and converter housing underpan.
- Remove the flywheel-to-converter assembly attaching bolts.
- Support the transmission on blocks.
- Remove the transmission-to-engine mounting bolts.
- With the engine hoist attached, remove the blocks from the engine only and slowly guide the engine from the transmission.
- Reattach the automatic transmission by reversing the above process.