Unless otherwise stated, the following operations cover the four-cylinder, six-cylinder and V8 engines.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise car and place it on jackstands.
- Drain the cooling system, transmission, and crankcase. Carefully lower the vehicle.
- Scribe alignment marks on the underside of the hood and around the hood hinges, then remove the hood from the hinges.
- Disconnect the coolant and heater hoses at the engine attachment.
- Disconnect the battery cables from the battery.
- Remove the radiator and shroud assembly. Remove the fan and pulley.
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Disconnect the coil, starter, and Delcotron wires, engine-to-body ground strap, oil pressure and engine temperature sender wires, and the CEC wire.
- Disconnect the gas tank line from the fuel pump.
- Disconnect the accelerator control linkage from the firewall.
- Disconnect the hand choke linkage (four-cylinder) and the power brake vacuum line.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe from the manifold. On V8 engines, disconnect the crossover pipe.
- Disconnect the clutch shaft bracket at the frame and disconnect the clutch linkage. On automatic transmission models, remove the transmission oil filler tube and plug the opening.
- Attach an engine lifting tool. Attach it to a hoist and secure the engine.
- Remove the driveshaft.
- Remove the set aside the power steering pump and air conditioning compressor. Do not disconnect the hoses.
- Remove the engine rear mounting bolts.
- Disconnect the speedometer cable, transmission control rod linkage lower ends, TCS switch, and transmission oil cooler lines.