REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
4 and 6 Cylinder Engines
Follow steps one through three of the cylinder head removal and installation procedure for these engines.1975 and Later 6 Cylinder Engines With Integral Intake Manifold/Cylinder Head
- Remove the air cleaner.
- Remove the power steering pump and/or AIR pump brackets, if so equipped.
- Remove the early fuel evaporation (EFE) valve bracket.
- Disconnect the throttle control and the throttle return spring.
- Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the manifold flange.
- Remove the manifold attaching bolts. Remove the manifold and discard the gasket.
- Check the manifold for cracks.
- Clean the gasket surfaces on the cylinder head and the manifold.
- Use a new gasket and install the exhaust manifold. Make sure to clean, oil, and torque all exhaust manifold-to-cylinder head bolts and nuts to the proper specifications (see the illustration).
- Connect the exhaust pipe to the manifold.
- Connect the throttle control and throttle return spring.
- Install the air cleaner, start the engine, and check for leaks.
Follow steps one through three of the cylinder head removal and installation procedure for these engines.