REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1962-67 Chevy II
- Fabricate a support for the upper control arm. With the car weight resting on its wheels, install this support between the upper control arm and the frame side member.
- Raise the front of the car and remove the wheel and tire.
- Remove the shock absorber lower mounting nuts, lockwashers, and rubber washers from the lower spring seat.
- Working under the hood, withdraw the shock absorber upper mounting bracket bolts from the spring tower. Lift the bracket and shock absorber assembly from the car.
- Disconnect the shock absorber from the upper mounting bracket and remove the rubber bushings and washers.
- Begin installation by assembling the upper washer and rubber bushing to the shock absorber. Assemble the upper mounting bracket, bushing, washer, and nut to the shock absorber. Torque the nut to 8-12 ft lbs.
- Fit the rubber washers to the shock absorber lower seat studs. Insert the shock absorber and upper bracket assembly through the access hole in the spring tower and position it on the lower spring seat. Fit the washers and nuts and torque the nuts to 9-12 ft. lbs. for 1962-64 models, or to 6-9 ft. lbs. for 1965-67 models.
- Install the upper mounting bracket to the spring tower and torque the bracket bolts to 9-12 ft. lbs. for 1962-64 models, or to 6-9 ft. lbs. for 1965-67 models.
- Install the wheel and tire. Lower the car, remove the upper control arm support, and check the shock absorber action.
- Use an open-end wrench to secure the upper stem of the shock absorber (in the engine compartment) and then remove the stem retaining nut, retainer, and rubber grommet.
- Withdraw the two bolts which secure the shock absorber lower pivot to the lower control arm.
- Pull the shock absorber assembly out from the bottom.
- Begin installation by fully extending the shock absorber stem. Fit the retainer and rubber grommet to the shock absorber stem and insert the shock absorber up through the lower control arm and spring so that the upper stem passes through the mounting hole in the upper support arm.
- Fit the rubber grommet, retainer, and mounting nut over the shock absorber upper stem.
- Use an open-end wrench to secure the upper stem of the shock absorber and torque the stem retaining nut to 8 ft lbs.
- Fit the two lower mounting bolts to the lower control arm and torque each bolt to 20 ft lbs.
- Check the shock absorber action.