The engine must be at normal operating temperature with the air cleaner on, the choke open, the air conditioner off, and the timing correctly set.
- Set the brake and block the wheels.
- Set the automatic transmission in Drive and the manual in neutral. Disconnect the fuel tank hose from the vapor canister in the engine compartment.
- Use needle nose pliers to break off the mixture screw cap or caps.
1 BBL CARBURETORS
- Adjust the idle speed by turning the solenoid in or out to obtain the higher of the two speeds listed on the sticker. Disconnect the electrical connector from the solenoid and turn the 1 / 8 in. allen screw in the end of the solenoid body to lower the idle speed to the second figure on the sticker.
2 BBL & 4 BBL CARBURETORS
Adjust the idle speed with the idle speed screw to obtain the higher idle speed shown on the sticker. On the 1977 4-bbl, detach the electrical connector at the idle solenoid, and adjust the idle speed to the lower of the two figures given on the sticker. Reconnect the electrical connector, open the throttle to extend the solenoid plunger, then turn the solenoid plunger screw to obtain the higher of the two idle speed figures. If the procedure listed here for the 1977 4-bbl differs from the one on the engine tune-up sticker, use the sticker procedure.
- On all but the 2 bbl, turn out the mixture screws until the highest possible idle speed is reached. If the idle speed becomes excessive (more than that set in Step 4), reset the idle speed to that set in Step 4. On the 2 bbl, turn out the mixture screws to obtain the highest idle and then, turn in the mixture screws to obtain the lower of the two figures listed on the sticker.
- Turn in the mixture screws equally until the normal idle speed is reached.
- Replace the vapor canister hose.