REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the headlight bezel retaining screws and remove the bezel.
- Disengage the spring from the retaining ring with a cotter pin removal tool and remove the two attaching screws.
- Remove the retaining ring and disconnect the sealed beam unit at the wiring connector.
- Attach the wiring connector to the replacement sealed beam unit. Position the unit in place making sure that the number molded into the lens face is at the top.
- Position the retaining ring in place and install the retaining ring attaching screws and spring.
- Check the operation of the light and install the headlight bezel.
The headlights must be properly aimed to provide the best, safest road illumination. The lights should be checked for proper aim, and adjusted if necessary, after installing a new sealed beam unit or if the front end sheet metal has been replaced. The headlamps should be aimed by a professional with a special alignment tool. Certain state and local authorities may require professional adjustment, but use the procedure below for temporary adjustments.
The vehicle's fuel tank should be about half full when adjusting the headlights. Tires should be properly inflated, and if a heavy load is carried in the trunk or in the cargo area of station wagons, it should remain there.
Horitontal and vertical aiming of each sealed beam unit is provided by two adjusting screws, which move the mounting ring in the body against the tension of the coil spring.
- Place the car on a level floor with headlamps 25 ft. (7.62m) from a light colored wall.
- Tape three vertical lines on the wall, one for the vertical center of the car and two for the vertical center of the headlamps. Then, tape one horizontal line for the horizontal and vertical center of the headlamps.
- Adjust the low beams so the high intensity zone is just below the horizontal line and to the right of the outboard vertical lines.
- Adjust the high beams so the high intensity zone is centered where the outboard lines intersect with the horizontal line.