REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the rear of the vehicle and support it with jackstands at both frame side members, near the front eyes of the springs. Position a jack under the rear axle and raise the axle assembly until all tension is removed from the springs.
- Separate the handbrake cable from its clamp. Disconnect the cable above the axle banjo housing. Remove the shock absorber lower mounting bolt.
- Remove the four nuts which secure the lower spring pad mounting bracket to the axle spring seat. Lower the bracket and remove the rubber spring pad.
- Loosen and drive out the front spring eye bolt. Lower the spring and remove the front rubber eye bushing.
- Remove the nuts from the rear spring shackle. Note the positions of the shackle nuts. Separate the spring eye and support bracket from the shackle by spreading the shackle and then removing the spring. Withdraw the rear spring eye bushings.
- Remove the upper spring pad cushion.
- Assemble the rear shackle. Insert the inboard rubber spring eye bushings into the spring eye and the outboard shackle bushings into the shackle mounting bracket. Place the rear spring in position and fit the shackle to the spring and mounting bracket.
On all models, except station wagons, the top nut of the shackle should be toward the outside of the car. On station wagons, the top nut should be toward the center of the car.
- Position the inboard rubber bushing in the spring front eye.
- Position the upper spring pad cushion on the spring and raise the spring, being certain that the ribs of the spring cushion align with the spring seat locating ribs.
- Insert the spring front eye and its bushing in the frame bracket. Fit the spring eye bolt, bushing, retainer, lockwasher, and nut, but do not tighten the nut yet.
- Position the lower spring pad cushion on the spring. Check to see that the upper and lower spring pads are aligned.
- Position the lower mounting plate over the locating dowel on the spring pad. Install the four locknuts and torque them to 45-55 ft. lbs. Fit the shock absorber lower eyebolt and torque to 45-55 ft. lbs.
- Remove the supports and lower the car. Bounce the rear of the car several times and torque the front eyebolt to 60-80 ft. lbs. and the rear shackle nuts to 30-50 ft. lbs.