The filter in the bottom of the evaporative canister must be changed every 24 months or 24,000 miles on cars built up to 1974, and every 24 months or 30,000 miles on later models (more often under dusty conditions). The canister is mounted on the left-side of the engine compartment.
To change the filter, proceed as follows:
- Raise and securely support the front of the car.
- Note the installed position of the hoses on the canister.
- Disconnect the hoses from the top of the canister.
- Loosen the clamps and remove the canister.
- Remove the bottom of the canister from the canister body.
- Remove and discard the old filter.
- Install a new filter.
- Reassemble the bottom to the canister body.
- Install the canister in the mounting clamps. Tighten the clamp bolts.
- Reconnect the hoses to the top of the canister in their proper positions.
- Lower the car.
When replacing canister hoses, use only fuel-resistant replacement hose marked "EVAP."