REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Rear Wheel (All Wheel Drive Only) and Front Wheel Tone Rings
The front ABS tone ring and rear ABS tone ring (All Wheel Drive only) are integral components of the halfshaft assemblies and therefore, cannot be serviced separately. If any of these tone rings require service, the halfshaft assembly must be replaced.
However, the rear ABS tone ring on front wheel drive vehicles can be serviced separately.Rear Wheel (Front Wheel Drive Only)
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the rear wheel speed sensor from the rear hub/bearing flange.
- Remove the rear wheel hub/bearing assembly from the vehicle.
- Install 3 lug nuts on 3 of the wheel mounting studs to prevent possible thread damage while installing the assembly in a bench vise. Using Puller Special Tool C-4693, or equivalent, remove the tone wheel from the back of the hub/bearing assembly.
- Position the hub/bearing assembly in an arbor press supported by Receiver Special Tool 6062A-3. Position Driver Special Tool 6908-1 with the undercut side facing up on top of the tone wheel.
- Press the tone wheel onto the hub/bearing assembly until it fits flush with the end of the hub shaft.
- Install the hub/bearing assembly onto the vehicle.
- Install the rear wheel speed sensor onto the rear hub/bearing flange.
- Inspect the air gap between the face of the wheel speed sensor and the top surface of the tone wheel. The air gap must be less than the maximum allowable tolerance of 0.047 inch (1.2mm).
- Install the brake drum/rotor.
- Install rear wheel(s).
- Adjust the rear brakes.