REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the brake drum from the hub assembly by pulling the drum straight off the wheel studs.
If the drum is difficult to remove, remove the plug from the rear brake support plate. Push the self adjuster lever away from the star wheel using a thin screwdriver. The lever and star wheel are accessed through the hole on the rear brake support plate. Rotate the star wheel using a brake adjusting tool to retract the shoes.
- Inspect the brake drum for thickness and runout. Replace or machine as necessary.
- Install the brake drum to the hub assembly.
- Adjust the brake shoes.
- Install the rear wheel and lug nuts. Torque the lug nuts, in a star pattern sequence, to 95 ft. lbs. (129 Nm). Lower the
See Figures 3, 4 and 5
- Inspect the brake drums for cracks, signs of overheating or excessive wear.
- Measure the drum run-out and diameter. If not to specification, resurface the drum. Run-out should not exceed 0.006 inch (0.15mm). The diameter variation (oval shape) of the drum braking surface must not exceed 0.004 inch (0.090mm).
All brake drums are marked with the maximum allowable brake drum diameter on the face of the drum.