REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
The hub and wheel bearing unit is serviced as a complete assembly. Replacement of the front drive hub and bearing assembly can be done without having to remove the steering knuckle from the vehicle. However, if the hub/bearing assembly is frozen to the steering knuckle, removal of the steering knuckle is required.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the cotter pin from the end of the stub axle. Remove the nut lock and spring washer. With the brakes applied, loosen, but do NOT remove the axle nut and washer with the vehicle still on the ground or damage to the wheel bearing will result.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the wheel.
- Remove the front brake caliper assembly from the steering knuckle assembly and support from the strut assembly using a strong piece of wire.
- Remove the front brake rotor from the hub/bearing assembly.
- Remove the retaining nut and washer from the halfshaft stub axle.
- Remove the ABS wheel speed sensor from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the 4 hub and bearing assembly mounting bolts from behind the steering knuckle.
- Remove the hub and bearing assembly from the steering knuckle.
- Thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of the steering knuckle and the hub and bearing assembly of any foreign material or nicks so the surfaces are clean and smooth.
- Install the new hub and bearing assembly and tighten the mounting bolts in a crisscross pattern to 45 ft. lbs. (65 Nm). Be sure the hub and bearing assembly is seated squarely against the front steering knuckle.
- Install the disc brake rotor.
- Install the brake caliper assembly onto the steering knuckle.
- Install the axle washer and nut. Tighten but do not torque.
- Install the ABS wheel speed sensor.
- Install the wheel and lug nuts. Torque the lug nuts, in sequence, to 95 ft. lbs. (129 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle. Do NOT roll the vehicle until the axle nut has been properly torqued or damage to the front wheel bearings will result.
- With the vehicle's brakes applied, torque the axle nut to 180 ft. lbs. (244 Nm). Install the spring washer, nut lock and a new cotter pin. Wrap the cotter pin prongs tightly around the axle nut lock.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable. Check the wheel alignment.