REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the cotter pin from the end of the stub axle. Remove the nut lock and spring washer. With the brakes applied, loosen, but do NOT remove the axle nut and washer with the vehicle still on the ground or damage to the wheel bearing will result.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Remove the wheel.
- Remove the front brake caliper assembly from the steering knuckle assembly and support from the strut assembly using a strong piece of wire.
- Remove the front brake rotor from the hub/bearing assembly.
- Remove the retaining nut and washer from the halfshaft stub axle.
- Separate the outer tie rod from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the ABS wheel speed sensor from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the wheel stop from the steering knuckle, if equipped.
- Remove the nut and bolt that clamps the steering knuckle to the ball joint stud. Using a prybar, pry the control arm down to release the ball stud from the steering knuckle. Be careful not to tear the ball joint grease seal when prying down from the steering knuckle.
- Separate the outer CV-joint splined shaft from the hub and bearing assembly by holding the CV-joint housing and pulling the steering knuckle away. Be careful not to damage the outer CV-joint wear sleeve or separate the inner CV-joint.
- Support the halfshaft assembly at the CV-joint housing. Pull the knuckle assembly away from the halfshaft. Take care not separate the halfshaft inner CV-Joint, or damage to the CV-Joint will occur. Support the halfshaft.
- Remove the 2 steering knuckle-to-strut clevis bracket mounting bolts and remove the steering knuckle from the vehicle.
If equipped with eccentric strut assembly attaching bolts, it must be installed in the bottom (slotted) hole of the strut clevis bracket.
- Install the steering knuckle into the strut clevis bracket of the strut assembly. Install the strut-to-steering knuckle attaching bolts and torque both attaching bolts to 65 ft. lbs. (90 Nm) plus an additional 1 / 4 turn.
- Thoroughly clean the steering knuckle and hub and bearing area of all debris and moisture, where the CV-joint will be installed into the steering knuckle. Also thoroughly clean the bearing shield of the outer CV-joint.
- Pull the front strut out and insert the splined outer CV-joint into the front hub.
- Insert the ball joint stud into the steering knuckle clamp. Install a new steering knuckle-to-ball joint stud clamping nut and bolt. Be sure to use an exact replacement nut and bolt during
installation. Torque the bolt to 105 ft. lbs. (145 Nm).
- Install the tie rod end into the steering knuckle. Torque the tie rod end-to-steering knuckle nut to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Install the disc brake rotor.
- Install the brake caliper assembly onto the steering knuckle.
- Install the axle washer and nut. Tighten but do not torque.
- Install the ABS wheel speed sensor.
- Install the wheel and lug nuts. Torque the lug nuts, in sequence, to 95 ft. lbs. (129 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle. Do NOT roll the vehicle until the axle nut has been properly torqued or damage to the front wheel bearings will result.
- With the vehicle's brakes applied, torque the axle nut to 180 ft. lbs. (244 Nm). Install the spring washer, nut lock and a new cotter pin. Wrap the cotter pin prongs tightly around the axle nut lock.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable. Check the wheel alignment.