REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Front Heater Core
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the left side lower steering column cover.
- Place the steering wheel in the locked position, then remove the key.
- Remove the air bag module.
- Remove the steering wheel.
Remove the steering column assembly utilizing the following steps:
- Label and disengage the wiring harness connectors from the steering column.
- On the steering column shaft coupler, remove the safety pin, nut and pinch bolt.
- Separate the steering column shaft coupler from the shaft of the steering gear.
- Loosen, but do not remove, the 2 lower steering column mounting bracket nuts.
- Remove the 2 upper steering column mounting bracket nuts.
- Carefully remove the steering column assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the ABS module, bracket and wiring
- Remove the instrument panel-to-body harness interconnect and bracket.
- Located at the base of the steering shaft, remove the lower silencer boot.
- Pinch off the heater lines located in the engine compartment.
- Remove the cover from the heater core. Place some towels under the heater core tubes, then remove the heater core plate and tubes.
- Depress the heater core retaining clips.
- Pull up on the accelerator pedal and slide out the heater core.
- Depress the brake pedal and remove the heater core from the HVAC housing.
- Install the heater core into the HVAC housing. Install and tighten the retaining screws and engage the retaining clips.
- Replace the heater core tube inlet O-rings. Install the heater core tube retaining plate screw and tighten to 18-36 inch lbs. (2-4 Nm).
- Install the heater core cover.
- Install the lower silencer boot to the base of the steering shaft.
- Install the instrument panel-to-body harness interconnect and bracket.
- Install the ABS module, bracket and wiring.
- Install the steering column assembly into the vehicle.
- Install the steering wheel and air bag module.
- Install the left side lower steering column cover.
- Un-pinch the heater lines in the engine compartment.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Fill the cooling system. Test the HVAC system for proper heating operation.
See Figures 6 and 7
- Remove the lower right quarter trim panel.
- Isolate and disconnect the lines from the heater core.
- Remove the heater core retaining screws.
- Carefully pull the heater core and tubes up and straight out of the unit.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure. However, it is also important to perform the following important steps.
- Prefill the heater core before installation. If the heater core is empty and not prefilled, it is required to thermal cycle the vehicle twice. This is because the heater core is positioned higher than the radiator filler cap. Therefore, the heater core cannot gravity fill to level. To thermal cycle the vehicle, the system must be operated until the thermostat opens, then turned off and allowed to cool.
To verify that the auxiliary unit is completely filled, utilize the following procedures:
Be sure that the vehicle is at room temperature.
- Test the system for leaks and overall performance.