REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
- Raise and safely support the rear of the vehicle on safety stands. Locate the safety stands under the frame contact points to a comfortable working position.
- Raise the rear axle just enough to relieve the weight on the springs and support on safety stands.
- Disconnect the lower ends of the shock absorbers at the rear axle bracket.
- Loosen and remove the axle plate bolts located at the leaf springs.
- Lower the rear axle assembly slightly to permit the rear springs to hang free. Support the spring and remove the 4 bolts that mount the front spring hanger. Remove the rear spring shackle nuts and plate. Remove the leaf spring from the shackle.
- Remove the rear leaf spring assembly from the vehicle. Remove the front pivot bolt from the front leaf spring mount.
- Install the front spring mount onto the front of the leaf spring eye and install pivot bolt and nut. Start the pivot nuts but do not tighten completely. Be sure to install the the pivot bolt so it is facing inboard to prevent structural damage.
- Raise the front of the spring and install the 4 hanger mounting bolts. Tighten the mounting bolts to 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm).
- Install the rear of the leaf spring onto the rear spring shackle and install the shackle plate, but do not tighten.
- Check to be sure the lower leaf spring isolator is in proper position.
- Raise the axle assembly and align under the leaf spring locator post. Install the rear axle plate bolts and torque to 80 ft. lbs. (108 Nm).
- Install the rear shock absorber to the lower brackets.
Lower the vehicle to the ground so the full weight is on the springs. Tighten the mounting components as follows:
- Front pivot bolt: 115 ft. lbs. (156 Nm)
- Shackle nuts: 45 ft. lbs. (61 Nm)
- Shock absorber bolts: 75 ft. lbs. (101 Nm)
- Road test the vehicle.