REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Tie Rod Ends
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle on safety stands. Remove the front wheels.
- Wire brush the tie rod threads and liberally soak with penetrating oil. Loosen the inner tie rod-to-outer tie rod jam nut.
- Mark the tie rod position on the inner tie rod threads.
- Remove the tie rod-to-steering knuckle nut by holding the tie rod end stud with an 11 / 32 socket while loosening and removing the nut with a box wrench.
- Using a puller tool, separate the tie rod end from the steering knuckle. If the joint is to be reused, do not use a wedge-type tool to hammer the connection apart or the outer tie rod end will be damaged.
Count the number of turns when removing tie rod end. Install the new tie rod end the same amount of turns.
- Unscrew the outer tie rod end from the rack inner tie rod.
- Thread the new tie rod end onto the inner tie rod, the same number of turns as was required for removal.
- Install the tie rod end to the steering knuckle. Install the outer tie rod-to-steering knuckle nut. Torque the nut, using a crowfoot and 11 / 32 socket, to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm). Install a new cotter pin.