REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the splash shield retaining screws and the splash shield.
- Loosen the distributor cap retaining screws.
- Remove the distributor cap
- Inspect the inside, of the cap, for spark flash over (burnt tracks on cap or terminals), center carbon button wear or cracking, and worn terminals. Replace the cap if any of these problems are present or suspected.
Light deposits on the terminals can be scraped cleaned with a knife, heavy deposits or scaling will require cap replacement.
Wash the cap with a solution of warm water and mild detergent, scrub with a soft brush and dry with a clean soft cloth to remove dirt and grease.
- If cap replacement is necessary, take notice of the cap installed position in relationship to the distributor assembly.
- Number each plug wire so that the correct wire goes on the proper cap terminal when replaced. This can be done with pieces of adhesive tape.
Do not pull plugs wires from distributor cap, they must first be released from inside of cap.
- Position the replacement cap on the distributor assembly, and tighten the distributor cap retaining screws.
- Push the wire terminals firmly to properly seat the wires into the cap.
- Reinstall the splash shield.