REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.2L and 2.5L EnginesWITHOUT TURBOCHARGER
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7
When removing the combination manifold some bolts are easier accessed from under the vehicle by reaching over the crossmember, others are accessed from under the hood. You will need an assortment of extensions and universals to remove the various bolts and nuts.
- Disconnect the battery negative cable.
- Drain the cooling system.
- Remove the air cleaner, disconnect all vacuum lines, electrical wiring and fuel lines from carburetor and intake manifold.
- Remove the throttle linkage.
- Remove the water hoses from water crossover.
- Raise the vehicle and remove exhaust pipe from manifold.
- Remove power steering pump and set aside.
- Remove intake manifold support bracket and EGR tube.
- On Canadian cars remove (4) air injection tube bolts and injection tube assembly.
- Remove the intake manifold retaining screws.
- Lower vehicle and remove the intake manifold.
- Remove exhaust manifold retaining nuts and remove exhaust manifold.
- Clean gasket surface of both manifold and cylinder block surface.
- Install a new gasket on exhaust and intake manifold. Coat manifold with Sealer (P/N 3419115) or equivalent on manifold side.
- Position the exhaust manifold against cylinder block and install nuts. Tighten nuts from center while alternating outward in both direction. Refer to the torque specification chart in this section for the proper tightening values.
- Position the intake manifold against the cylinder head.
- From beneath the vehicle tighten intake manifold screws. Start at the center while alternating outward in both directions. Refer to the torque specification chart in this section for the proper tightening values.
- Install the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold.
- On Canadian vehicles, install air injection tube assembly.
- Install the intake manifold support bracket and EGR tube.
- Install the power steering pump assembly and power steering belt.
- Install the water hoses to water crossover.
- Install the fuel lines, vacuum lines, and electrical wiring.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 8
On some vehicles, some of the manifold attaching bolts are not accessible or are too heavily sealed from the factory and cannot be removed on the vehicle. Head removal would be necessary in these situations.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Drain the cooling system. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the accelerator linkage, throttle body electrical connector and vacuum hoses.
- Relocate the fuel rail assembly. Remove the bracket-to-intake manifold screws and the bracket to heat shield clips. Lift and secure the fuel rail (with injectors, wiring harness and fuel lines intact) up and out of the way.
- Disconnect the turbocharger oil feed line at the oil sending unit Tee fitting.
- Disconnect the upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing.
- Remove the cylinder head, manifolds and turbocharger as an assembly.
- With the assembly on a workbench, loosen the upper turbocharger discharge hose end clamp.
Do not disturb the center deswirler retaining clamp.
- Remove the throttle body-to-intake manifold screws and throttle body assembly. Disconnect the turbocharger coolant return tube from the water box. Disconnect the retaining bracket on the cylinder head.
- Remove the heat shield-to-intake manifold screws and the heat shield.
- Remove the turbocharger-to-exhaust manifold nuts and the turbocharger assembly.
- Remove the intake manifold bolts and the intake manifold.
- Remove the exhaust manifold nuts and the exhaust manifold.
- Place a new 2-sided Grafoil type intake/exhaust manifold gasket; do not use sealant.
- Position the exhaust manifold on the cylinder head. Apply anti-seize compound to threads, install and tighten the retaining nuts, starting at center and progressing outward in both directions, to 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm). Repeat this procedure until all nuts are at 17 ft. lbs. (23 Nm).
- Position the intake manifold on the cylinder head. Install and tighten the retaining screws, starting at center and progressing outward in both directions, to 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm). Repeat this procedure until all screws are at 19 ft. lbs. (26 Nm).
- Connect the turbocharger outlet to the intake manifold inlet tube. Position the turbocharger on the exhaust manifold. Apply anti-seize compound to threads and tighten the nuts to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm). Tighten the connector tube clamps to 30 inch lbs. (41 Nm).
- Install the tube support bracket to the cylinder head.
- Install the heat shield on the intake manifold. Tighten the screws to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
- Install the throttle body air horn into the turbocharger inlet tube. Install and tighten the throttle body to intake manifold screws to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm). Tighten the tube clamp to 30 inch lbs. (3 Nm).
- Install the cylinder head/manifolds/turbocharger assembly on the engine.
- Reconnect the turbocharger oil feed line to the oil sending unit Tee fitting and bearing housing, if disconnected. Tighten the tube nuts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
- Install the air cleaner assembly. Connect the vacuum lines and accelerator cables.
- Reposition the fuel rail. Install and tighten the bracket screws to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm). Install the air shield to bracket clips.
- Connect the turbocharger inlet coolant tube to the engine block. Tighten the tube nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 Nm). Install the tube support bracket.
- Install the turbocharger housing to engine block support bracket and the screws hand-tight. Tighten the block screw 1st to 40 ft. lbs. (54 Nm). Tighten the screw to the turbocharger housing to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm).
- Reposition the drain back hose connector and tighten the hose clamps. Reconnect the exhaust pin at the EGR valve.
- Lower the vehicle. Connect the battery cable and fill the cooling system.