REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
2.2L and 2.5L Engines
See Figures 1 and 2
The following procedure is to be performed with the engine removed from the vehicle.
- Remove the distributor assembly.
- Remove the fuel pump.
- Remove timing case cover and timing belt.
- Remove the intermediate shaft sprocket.
- Remove the intermediate shaft retainer screws and remove retainer.
- Remove the intermediate shaft and inspect journals and bushing.
- When installing the shaft, lubricate the fuel pump eccentric and distributor drive gear. Install the intermediate shaft.
- Inspect the shaft seal in retainer. Replace if necessary.
- Lightly lubricate the seal lip with engine oil.
- Install the intermediate shaft retainer assembly and retainer screws. Tighten the retainer screws to 105 inch lbs. (12 Nm). On the 2.5L engines, apply anaerobic (Form-in-Place) gasket material to retainer sealing surface before installing.
- Install the intermediate shaft sprocket.
- Make sure all timing marks are properly aligned.
- Install the timing belt and adjust.
- Install the timing belt cover.
- Install the fuel pump.
- Install the distributor.