The 2.6L engine uses 2 counter shafts (silent shafts) in the cylinder block to reduce engine noise and vibration.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The following procedures to be performed with engine removed from vehicle.
- Remove the timing chain case cover. For more information, refer to the Front Timing Cover and Seal procedure in this section.
- Remove the silent shaft chain assembly and timing chain assembly, by referring to the timing chain procedure in this section.
- Remove the silent shaft bolt (it's the bolt directly above the silent chain sprocket).
- Remove the oil pump bolts and pull the pump housing straight forward. Remove the gaskets and the oil pump backing plate.
- Remove the right silent shaft.
- Remove the left silent shaft thrust plate by screwing two 8mm screws into tapped holes in thrust plate. Remove the left silent shaft.
- Install both silent shafts into cylinder block. Be careful not to damage inner bearings.
- Install the left silent shaft thrust plate on the left silent shaft using a new O-ring.
- Install the oil pump. For more details, refer to the oil pump installation procedure in this section.
- Install the timing chain and silent chain assembly, by referring to the timing chain installation procedure.
- Install the timing chain case cover, as described in the Front Timing Cover and Seal procedure.
SILENT SHAFT CLEARANCE
- Outer diameter-to-outer bearing clearance: 0.0008-0.0023 in. (0.02-0.06mm).
- Inner diameter-to-inner bearing clearance: 0.0020-0.0035 in. (0.05-0.09mm).