REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
The thermostat is located in a water box at the side of the engine (facing grille) 2.2L and 2.5L engines. The thermostat on 2.6L, 3.0L, 3.3L and 3.8L engines is located in a water box at the timing belt end of the intake manifold.
- Drain the cooling system to a level below the thermostat.
- Remove the hoses from the thermostat housing.
- Remove the thermostat housing.
- Remove the thermostat and discard the gasket. Clean the gasket surfaces thoroughly.
- Install a new gasket on water box housing 2.2L and 2.5L engines. Center the thermostat in the water box on gasket surface. Install the thermostat housing on gasket. Make sure thermostat sits in its recess of the housing. Tighten bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- On 2.6L engine position gasket on water box. Center thermostat in water box and attached housing. Tighten the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- On 3.0L, 3.3L and 3.8L engines position thermostat in water box pocket. Make sure thermostat flange in seated properly in flange groove of the water box. Position the new gasket on water box and install housing. Tighten the bolts to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
- Connect the radiator hose to the thermostat housing. Tighten the hose clamp to 35 inch lbs. (4 Nm).
- Fill the cooling system.