A MacPherson Type front suspension, with vertical shock absorbers attached to the upper fender reinforcement and the steering knuckle, is used. Lower control arms, attached inboard to a crossmember and outboard to the steering knuckle through a ball joint, provide lower steering knuckle position. During steering maneuvers, the upper strut and steering knuckle turn as an assembly.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10
- Loosen the front wheel lug nuts slightly. Raise and support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the wheel and tire assemblies.
If the original strut assemblies are to be installed, mark the camber eccentric bolt and strut for installment in same position.
- Unfasten the lower camber bolt and nut (at the steering knuckle), along with the knuckle bolt and nut. Remove the brake hose-to-strut bracket mounting bolt.
- Remove the upper mounting nuts and washers on the fender shield in the engine compartment. Remove the strut assembly from the vehicle.
- Inspect the strut assembly for signs of leakage. A slight amount of seepage is normal, fluid streaking down the side of the strut is not. Replacer the strut if leakage is evident. Service the strut and spring assembly as required.
- Position the strut assembly under the fender well and loosely install the upper washers and nuts. Position the lower mount over the steering knuckle, then loosely install the mounting and camber bolts and nuts. Attach the brake hose retaining bracket, then tighten the mounting bolt to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
- Tighten the upper mount nuts to 20 ft. lbs. (27 Nm). Index the camber bolt to reference mark and snug the nut. Install the nut on the mounting bolt, then tighten slightly.
- Mount a 4 in. (10cm) C-clamp over the inner edge of the strut and outer edge of the steering knuckle. Tighten the clamp just enough to eliminate any play between the knuckle and the strut. check the alignment of the camber bolt and strut reference marks. Tighten the mounting and camber nuts to 75 ft. lbs. (102 Nm) plus an additional 1 / 4 turn more. Remove the C-clamp.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly and lower the vehicle.