The front suspension steering knuckle provides for steering, braking and front end alignment while supporting the front driving hub and axle assembly.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
A tie rod end puller (Chrysler Tool C-3894A or equivalent) is necessary for this procedure.
- Remove the wheel cover, center hub cover, cotter pin, nut lock and spring washer from the front wheel.
- Loosen the front hub nut and wheel lug nuts. Raise the front of the vehicle and support on jackstands.
- Remove the wheel and tire assembly. Remove the center hub nut.
- Disconnect the tie rod end from the steering knuckle arm with Tool C-3894A, or equivalent. Disconnect the front brake hose bracket from the strut.
- Remove the caliper assembly and support it with a piece of wire. Do not permit the caliper to hang from the brake hose. Remove the disc brake rotor, inner pad and caliper mounting adapter.
- Remove the clamp bolt that secures the ball joint and steering knuckle together.
- Insure that the splined halfshaft is loose in the hub by tapping lightly with a brass drift and hammer. Separate the ball joint and steering knuckle. Pull the knuckle assembly out and away from the halfshaft. Remove the steering knuckle from the strut assembly.
- Service hub, bearing, seal and steering knuckle as necessary.
- Install the steering knuckle to the strut assembly. Install the halfshaft through the hub and steering knuckle. Connect the ball joint to the knuckle, then tighten the clamp bolt to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm) on 1984-89 models or to 105 ft. lbs (143 Nm) on 1990-95 models.
- Install the tie rod end, then tighten the retaining nut to 35 ft. lbs. (48 Nm). Install and bend the cotter pin.
- Install the brake adapter, pads, rotor and caliper. Connect the brake hose bracket to the strut.
- Install the center hub washer and retaining nut. Have an assistant apply the brakes while you tighten the nut to 180 ft. lbs. (245 Nm).
- Install the spring washer, nut and new cotter pin.
- Install the wheel and tire assembly.
- Tighten the lug nuts to 95 ft. lbs. (130 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.