REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
Before servicing the lower instrument panel, chock the wheels. Servicing the steering column may cause an automatic transaxle to come out of the Park (P) position. Always release the parking brake before the release cable is disconnected. Disconnecting the parking brake cable without releasing the parking brake may cause personal injury.
- If equipped, disable the air bag system by disconnecting the negative battery cable.
- Block the vehicle wheels and release the parking brake. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the steering column lower left cover.
- Remove the side cowl and the sill molding.
- Remove the instrument panel silencer and reinforcement.
- Loosen the bolt in the side cowl, but do not remove the bolt.
- On vehicles equipped with an automatic transaxle, place the gear selector into the Neutral (N) position and disconnect the shift indicator cable.
- Remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the (5) nuts securing the steering column to the support bracket.
- Lower the steering column. Use a cover to protect the steering column and the front seat.
- Remove the right side instrument panel trim molding.
- Remove the (9) screws securing the lower panel to the upper panel and mid-reinforcement.
- Lower the instrument panel approximately six inches.
- Disconnect the park brake release cable, heater attachment or air conditioning control cables, antenna and wiring connectors from the radio and fresh air ducts.
- Disengage the electrical connections and label them with tape for identification.
- Pry the A-pillar garnish off the door opening weather-strip at the panel bolt.
- Pull the weather-strip from the body and remove the lower panel from the vehicle.
- Position the lower panel into the vehicle.
- Install the weather-strip and garnish molding.
- Connect the park brake release cable, heater attachment or air conditioning control cables, antenna and wiring connectors to the radio and fresh air ducts.
- Engage all electrical connections.
- Secure the lower instrument panel to upper panel and mid-reinforcement with (9) retaining screws.
- Install the right side instrument panel trim molding.
- Raise the steering column and install the (5) nuts securing steering column to the support bracket.
- Install the steering wheel.
- Connect the shift indicator cable.
- Install the lower reinforcement, silencer and the lower left steering column cover.
- If equipped, perform the Air bag System Check procedures outlined in this section before connecting the negative battery cable.