See Figures 1 through 10
- Remove the transaxle from the vehicle and position it on suitable holding fixture.
- Remove the extension outer bolts.
- Remove the differential retainer outer bolts.
- Remove the differential assembly.
See Figures 11 through 32
- Remove the differential cover bolts and gently pry the cover from the extension.
- Unfasten the extension housing bolts then separate the differential assembly and extension housing. Remove the O-ring seal and clean the RTV from extension housing. Discard the O-ring seal.
- Unbolt and remove the differential retainer.
- Unfasten the selector shaft housing assembly bolts and remove the selector shaft housing.
- Unbolt and remove the rear end cover.
- Remove the snapring from the 5th speed synchronizer strut retainer plate.
- Unscrew the 5th speed shift fork set screw. Lift the 5th speed synchronizer sleeve and shift fork off the synchronizer hub. Retrieve the (3) winged struts and top synchronizer spring.
- Use a puller to remove the 5th speed synchronizer hub. Retrieve the remaining synchronizer spring.
- Slide the 5th speed gear off the intermediate shaft.
- Using holding tool 6252, or equivalent, remove the input shaft 5th speed gear nut. This nut is not to be reused.
- Remove the remaining bearing support plate bolts. Gently pry off the bearing support plate.
- Remove the large snapring from the intermediate shaft rear ball bearing. Then, gently tap the lower surface of the bearing retainer plate with a plastic hammer to free it and lift it off the transaxle case. Clean the RTV sealer from both surfaces.
- Unscrew the 5th speed shifter guide pin. Do the same with the 1st/2nd shift fork setscrew. Withdraw the 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th shift fork rail.
- Slide out the reverse idler gear shaft, gear, and plastic stop.
- Rotate the 3rd/4th shift fork to the left, and the 5th gear shifter to the right. Pull out the 5th speed shift rail. Pull out the input shaft and intermediate shaft assemblies.