See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th, and 5th speed shift forks.
- To remove the clutch release bearing, disengage the E-clips from the clutch release shaft, then disassemble the clutch shaft components.
See Figures 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Remove the input shaft seal retainer bolts, seal, retainer assembly and the select shim.
- Remove the reverse shift lever E-clip and flat washer and disassemble the reverse shift lever components.
See Figures 7, 8 and 9Transaxle Case
- Press the input shaft front bearing cup from the transaxle case.
- Unbolt and remove the intermediate shaft front bearing retaining strap.
- Remove the intermediate shaft front bearing and oil feeder using a bearing puller.
- Press the intermediate shaft front bearing with the oil feeder into the transaxle case. The bearing identification letters must be facing upward during installation.
- Install the intermediate shaft front bearing retaining strap.
- Press the input shaft front bearing cup into the transaxle case.
See Figures 10 through 26
The 1st/2nd, the 3rd/4th shift forks are interchangeable, however, the synchronizer stop rings are not. The 1st and 2nd synchronizer stop rings have a larger diameter than the other stop rings.
- Remove the intermediate shaft rear bearing snapring.
- Remove the intermediate shaft rear bearing with a bearing puller.
- Remove the 3rd/4th synchronizer hub snapring.
- Matchmark then remove the 3rd/4th synchronizer hub and the 3rd speed gear using a puller.
- Remove the 2nd speed gear from the intermediate shaft and disengage the 1-2 synchronizer hub snapring.
- Pull the 1st speed gear and 1-2 synchronizer assembly from the intermediate shaft.
The 1-2 synchronizer assembly components are not interchangeable with other synchronizers.
- Install the 1st speed gear thrust washer, 1st speed gear, stop ring and 1-2 synchronizer assembly
- Install the 1-2 synchronizer snapring.
- Install the 2nd speed gear and stop ring.
- Install the retaining ring and split thrust washer. Install the 3rd speed gear and the 3-4 synchronizer. Engage the hub snapring.
- Install the intermediate shaft rear bearing and retaining snapring.
- Install the intermediate shaft front bearing.
Pay attention to the following when servicing the intermediate shaft: when assembling the intermediate shaft, make sure the speed gears turn freely and have a minimum of 0.003 in. (0.076mm) end-play. When installing the 1st speed gear thrust washer make sure the chamfered edge is facing the pinion gear. When installing the 1st/2nd synchronizer make sure the relief faces the 2nd speed gear. Use an arbor press to install the intermediate shaft rear bearing, the 3rd/4th synchronizer hub and the 3rd speed gear. When installing the 3-4 synchronizer hub and 3rd speed gear, index the snapring 90° to the split washer. During the installation of synchronizer ring assemblies, make sure that all he matchmarks are aligned.Selector Shaft Housing
See Figures 27, 28, 29, 30 and 31
- Disengage the snapring from the selector shaft boot and remove the boot.
- Pry the shaft oil seal from the selector shaft housing.
- With a small prybar positioned against the gearshift selector, compress the crossover and 5th speed load spring and push the E-clip from the selector shaft. Disengage the E-clip to release the selector shaft.
- Withdraw the selector shaft from the selector housing.
- Unfasten the plate stop retaining bolts and remove the stop.
- Disassemble the selector shaft housing components.
- Assemble the selector shaft housing components in the reverse order of removal. Use a new back-up lamp switch gasket if needed.
- Install the plate stop with the retaining bolts.
- Insert the selector shaft into the housing.
- Compress the gearshift selector and install the E-clip.
- Clean the bore and drive a new oil seal into the housing using the proper tool.
- Place the boot onto the shaft and retain with the snapring.
See Figures 32, 33, 34, 35 and 36
- Pry the oil seal from the retainer.
- Remove the retainer cup with a puller. Be careful not to damage the oil baffle and the select shim .
- Remove the oil baffle and the select shim from the retainer cup.
- Drive the oil baffle and select shim into the retainer cup using the proper tool.
- Drive the retainer cup into the retainer using the proper tool.
- Drive in a new retainer oil seal.