REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8
Transaxle removal does not require engine removal.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- Install a sling or lifting bracket to the No. 4 cylinder exhaust manifold mounting bolt (through 1987), or the battery ground strap bolt (1988 and later). Place an engine support device across the engine compartment and connect to the sling. Tighten until slight upward pressure is applied to the engine.
- Disconnect the gearshift operating control from the transaxle selector lever.
- Loosen the wheel lug nuts slightly. Raise and support the front of the vehicle.
- Remove both front wheel and tire assemblies. Remove the left front engine splash shield. Drain the fluid from the transaxle.
- Remove the left front mount from the transaxle.
- Remove the speedometer cable adapter and pinion from the transaxle.
- Disconnect the front sway bar.
- Disconnect the anti-rotational link (anti-hop damper) from the crossmember bracket, do not remove the bracket from the transaxle.
- Remove both lower ball joint-to-steering knuckle mounting bolts. Pry the ball joint from the steering knuckle. Remove the halfshaft from the drive wheel hub.
- Remove the halfshafts from the differential.
- Remove the back-up light switch connector.
- Remove the engine mount bracket from the front crossover.
- Remove the front mount insulator through-bolt. Place a suitable floor jack or transaxle jack under the transaxle and raise to gently support.
- Remove the top bell housing bolts.
- Remove the left engine mount at rear cover plate. Remove the starter motor.
- Secure the transaxle to the jack and remove the lower bell housing bolts. Check that all transaxle support mounts or through-bolts are removed. Slide the jack and transaxle away from the engine and lower assembly.
- To install the transaxle; make two locating pins which are the same thread bolts and are slightly longer than the mounting bolts. Cut the heads off with a hacksaw, remove any burrs or sharp edges with a file. Install the bolts into the rear of the engine and guide the transaxle over them. After the transaxle is in position, remove the guide bolts and install mounting bolts.
- Raise the transaxle into position and slide it over the locating pins. Install the top bell housing bolts.
- Install the front mount insulator through-bolt.
- Install the left engine mount and the starter motor.
- Install the halfshafts.
- Connect the sway bar and anti-hop/rotation link. Install the front wheels and lower the vehicle.
- Install the speedometer drive and cable. Connect the throttle and shift linkage. Remove the engine support and connect the negative battery cable. Fill the transaxle with the correct lubrication fluid.