REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Disconnect the negative battery cable at the battery.
- Remove the steering wheel. Remove the lower steering column cover, silencer panel and reinforcement.
- The wiring harness is contained by a trough that is mounted on the side of the steering column. Remove the trough by prying the connectors from the column. New connectors may be required for installation.
- Disengage the turn signal wiring harness connector at the bottom of the steering column.
- Disassemble the steering column for switch removal as follows:
- On standard columns; remove the screw holding the wiper-washer switch to the turn signal switch. Allow the control stalk and switch to remain in position. Remove the three screws that attach the bearing retainer and turn signal switch to the upper bearing housing. Remove the turn signal and hazard warning switch assembly by gently pulling the switch up from the column while straightening the wires and guiding them up through the column opening. Be sure to disengage the ground connector.
- On models with tilt wheel; remove the plastic cover (if equipped) from the lock plate. Depress the lock plate and pry the retaining ring form mounting groove. (Chrysler Tool C-4156 or equivalent is used to compress the lock plate). Remove the lock plate, canceling cam and upper bearing spring. Place the turn signal switch in right turn position. Remove the screw that attaches the link between the turn signal and wiper-washer switches. Remove the screw that attaches the hazard warning switch knob. Remove the three screws attaching the turn signal switch to the steering column. Remove the turn signal and hazard warning switch assembly by gently pulling the switch up from the column while straightening and guiding the wires up through the column opening.
- On models with the standard column; lubricate the turn signal switch pivot hole with a white lube (such as Lubriplate ). Thread the connector and wires through the column hole carefully. Position the turn signal switch and bearing retainer in place on the upper bearing housing and install the three mounting screws. Position the turn signal lever to turn signal pivot and secure with the mounting screws. Be sure the dimmer switch rod is in mounting pocket.
- On models with tilt wheel; thread connector and wire harness through column hole. Position the turn signal switch in the upper column housing. Place the switch in the right turn position. Install the three mounting screws. Install the link between the turn signal switch and the wiper-washer switch pivot and secure mounting screw. Install the lock plate bearing spring, canceling cam and new retainer clip using Tool C-4156 or equivalent. Install the hazard warning knob, screw.
- Connect the wiring harness plug. Install the cover through wiring cover to the steering column.
- Install the steering wheel and retaining nut. Connect battery cable and test the switch for operation.