REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Before performing repair procedures on any air bag system component, refer to the Air Bag Systems Check procedures outlined in this section
This procedure covers the removal and installation of the steering wheel and clockspring. Once the steering wheel and clockspring have been removed, refer to the appropriate section of this service manual for switch replacement.
- Place front wheels in the straight-ahead position.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable and isolate.
- Wait two minutes for the reserve capacitor to discharge before removing non deployed module.
- Remove four nuts attaching air bag module from the back side of steering wheel.
- Lift module and disconnect connector from rear of module.
- Remove vehicle speed control switch and connector if so equipped or cover.
- Remove steering wheel.
- Unsnap clockspring and remove it.
- Refer to the appropriate section for switch replacement.
- Snap clockspring on to steering column. Assure the 4-way connector is still seated.
- Install steering wheel.
- Install vehicle speed control switch and connector or cover.
- Attach the clockspring wiring connector to the module.
- Install the four nuts to the module, then tighten them to 80-100 inch lbs. (9 to 11 Nm).
- Perform the Air Bag System Check procedures outlined in this section before connecting the negative battery cable.