The ABS-ECU is the electronic control module for the anti-lock brake system on Sebring coupe and Avenger models.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The ABS-ECU is mounted underneath the instrument panel, against the firewall on the passenger side.
- Turn the ignition switch OFF .
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Loosen the mounting screws, then remove the cowl side trim panel and front door scuff plate by disengaging the metal clips.
- Loosen the mounting screws and remove the control unit cover.
- Unplug the wiring harness connector from the ABS-ECU.
- Loosen the mounting screws and remove the ABS-ECU from the vehicle.
- Install the ABS-ECU module into the vehicle. Secure the module in place with the 2 mounting bolts.
- Attach the wiring harness connector to the ABS-ECU.
- Install the control unit cover and tighten the mounting screws.
- Install the front door scuff plate and cowl side trim panel. Push in to engage the metal retaining clips and tighten the mounting screws.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
For 1998, the ABS-ECU is an integral component of the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) and, therefore, can only be removed from the vehicle as a unit. Refer to the HCU removal/installation procedure later in this section.