The front ABS tone ring is an integral component of the halfshaft assemblies and therefore, cannot be serviced separately. If the front tone ring requires service, the halfshaft assembly must be replaced.
On Cirrus, Stratus, Sebring convertible and Breeze models, the rear ABS tone ring is an integral component of the wheel hub/bearing assembly. If the rear tone ring requires service, the wheel hub/bearing assembly must be replaced.
The rear ABS tone ring can be serviced separately on Sebring coupe and Avenger models.
removal & installation
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the rear wheel hub/bearing assembly from the vehicle.
- Mount the assembly upside down in special inner shaft removal tool MB991248, or equivalent. With the assembly placed on top of 2 blocks of wood and, using a socket, tap the tone ring off of the back of the wheel hub/bearing assembly.
- Position the hub/bearing assembly upside down on top of a small block of wood.
- Place the tone ring in position over the back of the assembly. Using a socket and a hammer, tap the tone ring onto the hub/bearing assembly.
- Install the wheel hub/bearing assembly onto the vehicle.