REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Sebring Coupe and Avenger
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Loosen the radiator drain plug and drain the cooling system beneath the level of the upper radiator hose.
- Disconnect the upper radiator hose to allow clearance for removal of the fan and shroud assembly.
It is recommended that each clamp be matchmarked to the hose. Observe the marks and reinstall the clamps in exactly the same position when reinstalling the radiator hose.
- Unfasten the electrical connector from the cooling fan motor.
- Remove the mounting bolts, fan and shroud assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the fan blade retainer nut from the shaft on the fan motor and separate the fan from the motor.
- Remove the motor-to-shroud attaching screws and remove the motor from the shroud.
- Install the motor to the shroud and secure it with the mounting bolts.
- Install the fan to the motor shaft and secure it with the retainer nut.
- Install the fan and shroud assembly into the engine compartment and secure the assembly to the radiator. Reattach the fan motor's electrical connector.
- Install the upper radiator hose and properly fill the cooling system.
- Connect the negative battery cable and check the cooling fan for proper operation.
Cirrus, Stratus, Sebring Convertible and Breeze
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the left strut tower. The ground cable is equipped with an insulator grommet, which should be placed on the stud to prevent the negative battery cable from accidentally grounding.
- Unfasten the cooling fan electrical connections.
- Remove the 4 cooling fan/shroud assembly mounting bolts.
- Remove the cooling fan/shroud assembly.
- To remove the fan blade from the fan motor on the shroud assembly, first support the motor on a bench, then remove the fan retaining clip from the motor shaft. Slide the fan off the motor shaft.
- To remove the fan motor from the shroud unit, remove the mounting screws, then remove the motor from the fan shroud.
- Install the motor onto the fan shroud assembly and tighten the mounting screws.
- Install the fan blade onto the motor shaft and install the retaining clip.
- Reinstall the cooling fan/shroud assembly into the vehicle.
- Reinstall the cooling fan mounting bolts.
- Tighten the fan mounting bolts to 65 inch lbs. (7.5 Nm).
- Fasten the fan's electrical connections.
- Reconnect the negative battery cable.
See Figure 3
- Detach the fan motor electrical connector.
- Check to be sure that the radiator fan rotates when battery voltage is applied between the connector terminals.
- Check that abnormal noises are not produced while the fan motor is turning.
- If the fan runs normally, the motor is functioning properly.
- If not, replace the fan module using the procedure earlier in this section.
If the motor is noticeably overheated, the system voltage may be too high.